CILAC pro bono is a not-for-profit corporation that aims to provide members of the Canadian-Iranian community, who do not qualify for legal aid yet have a lower income, access to legal information, brief advice and referrals in a linguistically and culturally sensitive environment. Services offered include family; wills and estates; landlords and tenant advice; personal injury; criminal; pensions/benefits; debtor-creditor issues; bankruptcy/insolvency; civil and commercial issues; and notary public. This service has been made available with the assistance of Pro Bono Law Ontario.
We are hosted at various community organizations in the city and we are staffed by volunteer lawyers from the Canadian-Iranian community. Individuals will have the opportunity to speak to a lawyer for 30 minutes and receive the following assistance:
- Help identify their legal problem or potential legal problems
- Provide information about their legal rights and what options they have to enforce those rights
- Provide information about available legal resources
- Provide referrals to organizations or lawyers that may able to assist them further.
- Help in drafting legal correspondence and commissioning legal documents provided that there is enough time for the lawyer to review the issue properly
As an adjunct to the legal clinic, we also host legal education seminars on various areas of law. These seminars are led by volunteer lawyers with various specialty areas on topics that are relevant to the community.
We can customize a legal education seminar for your organization. If your organization would like to arrange for a legal education seminar, please contact us at [email protected]. Please include a description of your organization and the seminar topic you are interested in hosting.
IWOO Legal Clinics will resume in August 2019.
For more information please contact 416-496-9566